** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Grex's ELO HOMES back/lay: 378 selections: +1.4% yield

Grex

I have been playing around with an ELO rating system. There have been various threads on this approach, so I won't bore you with the statistical details. So far, I have only developed the system for Italy Serie A, but the results look quite promising. I will post the first selections later today....... but please take note, this is in the early stages of development, so it is strictly a paper trial only.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grex's ELO Ratings

Happy days. Good old Parma. I switch it on to see them get winner in Injury time. About time I had some luck. .
Yes, a 94th minute goal wins it for Parma...... a bit lucky perhaps, but they all count. By the way, Dalkent, I hope you didn't bet on Parma on the strength of my selection..... naughty boy :spank.... I did stress this is a trial only ;) ln6i_7f1_ucn57.png

Re: Grex's ELO Ratings Just a quick comment..... the odds on Lazio have now lengthened to 1.92 (Pinnacle). They have a significantly superior ELO rating compared with Cagliari, and these odds would just about make Lazio a selection. However, the game starts in 15 minutes, and I don't think it is fair to make last-minute selections.

Re: Grex's ELO Ratings

I would say just go for it. I mean it's a paper trial so what really counts is to test the system, not to let the folks follow them. btw, I took Lazio earlier (at 1.88), so at least we're on the same boat now :lol
You are absolutely right, Dave (especially as Lazio won) :p m9to_98c_ucn57.png

Re: Grex's ELO Ratings Yes, you're right, CurlyOne...... another frustrating draw. That makes 2 out of 4 have been spoiled by the dreaded "X". So, I will run an Asian Handicap (0) system in parallel to the straight "home" system. This will give us a "push" (horrible USA sports betting terminology) for the draw and a reduced payout for the win. It is the same as Draw-No-Bet. Let's see how it goes. ln6i_49a_ucn57.png

Re: Grex's ELO Ratings Three home team selections for the weekend. The system also occasionally throws up "away" selections. Surprisingly, there are two for the weekend (see second table below). The "aways" are generally at very long odds. For example, Catania's odds are over 17.0 :loon and they only have a 9% probability of winning, but that represents odds value of 154%. You may argue what is the point of betting on a team that only has a 9% chance of winning..... but over the long-term (last 5 seasons) this has produced a yield of over 40% on 140 selections. Obviously the "aways" will be a bit of a roller-coaster and I have kept them separate..... also, I have reduced the stake to 5% of the initial bank. Let´s see how it goes. isjn_97b_ucn57.pngisjf_3fc_ucn57.png